White Memorial Chapel

vaasweddingforweb width=250

The White Memorial Chapel was first built in 1883, and it was originally located on A Street and 2nd Avenue. It was home to the 18th ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). In 1973, the chapel was carefully disassembled to ensure elements could be reused. In 1976, the chapel was rebuilt on land donated by the Utah State Legislature in celebration of the nation's 200th birthday, using the chapel's original steeple, Gothic windows, doors, and benches. The LDS Sunday School program was launched at this location, and it served as the founding location for the first Boy Scout troop in Utah. The building is now a non-denominational chapel used for civic purposes.

Architecture

The White Chapel is an excellent example of Utah's early religious architecture. Architect Obed Taylor (who also designed the Assembly Hall at Temple Square) was inspired by Gothic architecture, as demonstrated by the buttresses, tall steeple, Gothic windows, and inclined roof.

To Schedule an Event

The White Chapel is a beautiful venue for weddings, concerts, and other special events. For more information on scheduling, please visit our scheduling page.

Photo courtesy of OpiePhoto.